Applications now open for our brand new Outreach and Diversity working group
12:00 Friday, 17 June 2022
A unique opportunity to inform, influence and contribute, as part of a new Outreach and Diversity working group in Cyber Security.
The UK Cyber Security Council, the voice for the cyber security profession, is inviting applications to join a brand new, and highly influential, working group focusing on outreach and diversity.
Eliminating actual or perceived barriers to entering or progressing within the cyber security profession is a core aim for the UK Cyber Security Council. The Council will promote cyber security as a career option for people of all ages and backgrounds, whether in education, looking to change career or already on an existing cyber career path.
This working group will be critical in mapping out and supporting future outreach and diversity initiatives – both in raising awareness of the available careers in cyber security (including pathways & progression routes) and in sharing best practice around EDI policies and practices to support the recruitment, retention and progression of minorities within the workplace.
What are we are looking for?
We are seeking a diverse group of individuals with:
- A passion and interest in the UK Cyber Security Council’s Vision, Mission & Values.
- Ability to work collaboratively, in an open and welcoming manner as part of a diverse team with differing opinions and perspectives .
- Experience developing and/or leading STEM outreach activities within schools, colleges, universities or community groups.
- Experience in supporting widening participation initiatives for both young people and adults.
- Lived experience and/or in depth understanding of the barriers faced by minority groups within the Cyber Security sector.
- Experience coordinating/supporting Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) initiatives within UK based organisations – with a focus on gender, ethnicity and/or neurodiversity.
- Knowledge of different pathways and qualifications for a career in Cyber Security (e.g. apprenticeships, university degrees, professional qualifications).
Please note: we do not expect you to have all of the experience above – this is the breadth of skills/knowledge/experience we would like to have across the whole working group.
Successful candidates will be expected to commit to the working group from July 2022 – September 2023. We expect this to be approximately 5/10 hours of your time per month. This would include a monthly meeting (1-2 hours) and time allowance for project work/ additional catch up meetings if required.
Who can apply?
We will be recruiting candidates from the UK Cyber Security Council’s Membership for the working group in this cycle of applications. We will also be looking for a number of advisory roles to fill any skills gaps by individuals from relevant non-members such as schools/colleges or organisations specialising in equality, diversity & inclusion (EDI). This is fundamental to our over-arching aim to strive for true diversity and inclusion in everything we do.
Applications close at 5pm on Wednesday 6th July. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a video call w/c 11th July, with successful candidates informed by 20th July 2022.
The first introductory meeting will be held w/c 25th July, 2022 with the formal monthly meetings beginning from September 2022. Exact time and dates will be confirmed once we have an understanding of the successful candidates availabilities.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply for a place on the group, please complete the form here and return it to Katherine Watson (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 6th July, 2022 – 5pm.
Please feel free to get in touch with Katherine if you have any further questions or would like an informal chat about this opportunity.