Apprenticeship schemes and opportunities
What is an apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a job in which you learn and gain experience and get paid. You can find an apprenticeship whether you're starting your career, want a change or are returning to work. Apprenticeships offer a great way to enter the UK cyber security industry, starting you on the route to becoming a fully qualified cyber security professional.
As an apprentice, you are an employee: you have an employment contract and receive holiday leave. Apprenticeships are funded from contributions made by the government and the employer.
You'll need to be well organised to cope with the competing demands of work and academic study at the same time. And, by the end of an apprenticeship, you'll have the right skills and knowledge needed for your chosen career.
Apprenticeships and cyber security
Government research shows that employers have a positive attitude towards apprenticeships in their cyber teams, identifying various benefits including:
- enabling people with no cyber security background to enter the profession; and
- hiring staff who do not have preconceptions about working in cyber security; and
- hiring staff who sometimes have better soft skills than those coming through the university route.
There are currently four Cyber Security Apprenticeships:
- Cyber Security Technician at Level 3
- Cyber Security Technologist at Level 4
- Cyber Intrusion Analyst at Level 4
- Cyber Security Technical Professional at Level 6
Further details of these and other related apprenticeships are available on the Institute for Apprenticeships & Technical Education website.
UCAS also gives lots of useful information about apprenticeships.
To become an apprentice, you need to fulfil certain criteria. For example, in England, you must:
- be 16 or over
- not already be in full time education
- spend at least 50% of your working hours in England
Further useful links
If you are an individual seeking an apprenticeship, you can apply here.
If you are considering becoming an apprenticeship provider, please visit here.